Fourth from Left, East Side: Wallace

This narrow lancet window has a tall blue cross in the center with the three tips and heart made up of the same blue colors surrounding ruby red centers. The cross is surrounded by wreaths of multicolored leaves twined around the cross. Various shades of blue circlets framed within red dividers form an outside frame for the cross and leaves. The oval section tracery at the top section carries out the same theme of below. The “cames” joined pieces of the various sections were supported by horizontal “tee” bars, and fastened to the side mullions and secured to the framing structure. At the lower section of the window the words “Elisha F. Wallace” and “Lydia Wallace” are inserted into adjoining rectangles with the bordering motif of the upper sections continuing.

This window was given in memory of Elisha and Lydia by their son William J. Wallace. Elisha and Lydia came to Syracuse in 1825 to practice law. However, it was distasteful to him and he became a large salt manufacturer. He held numerous local positions and was the U.S. Consul in Santiago de Cuba from 1861 to 1869. He was a member of a committee for the protection of children, which, under Sam May, led to the establishment of the Syracuse Orphan’s Home. Both Elisha and Lydia became members of our church in 1838. Elisha died August 15, 1870.

William James Wallace, born in Syracuse on April 14, 1837, was Mayor of Syracuse in 1873, Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York in 1874, and Judge of the U.S. court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit from 1887 to 1907. He died on March 11, 1917, and is interred at Oakwood Cemetery.