Sam May Historic Tablet FOUND!
An exciting and memorable time for May Memorial is here. On page 17 of Jean Hoefer and Irene Baros-Johnsonís May No One Be A Stranger, they described how a marble tablet honoring Sam May was installed in our old James Street church in 1885. It was subsequently removed when the building was sold in 1963 but as Jean and Irene note, its location was unknown.
Then kismet or good fortune intervened 42 years later. The Onondaga Historical Associationís Research Center was sold in June (2005) and as they were clearing out the building, the tablet was found. Its discovery was relayed to church members and several volunteers hauled the Tablet to MMUUS. Although broken when it was found, it can still send shivers down the spine. Restoration of the plaque, a new display area at MMUUS, and rededication ceremony are hoped for 2006.