Personal Code of Ethics
As a coach and administrator at
I declare the following principles to represent my personal code of professional ethics.
My Personal Code of Ethics
1. I am committed to lifelong learning and I will constantly strive to advance my knowledge and skills in the field by attending conferences and clinics, and reading the current literature.
2. I am committed to sharing my experience, skills and knowledge with student-athletes, co-workers and others professionals in the field.
3. I will treat athletes, co-workers and colleagues with respect, honesty, fairness, sensitivity, and dignity.
4. I will be open to individual differences and diversity.
5. I will gladly accept any evaluative feedback provided to me by others and constantly attempt to incorporate appropriate changes in my professional work. I will also take time to reflect and do a self-evaluation.
6. My primary professional concern will always be for the student athlete and for the development of the students potential. As a sports educator, I strive for professional growth and will seek to exercise the best professional judgment and integrity possible.
7. I will maintain the respect and confidence of my colleagues, student athletes, parents and other members of the college community. I strive to achieve and sustain the highest degree of ethical conduct.
As a college administrator and coach, I consider myself an educator to the undergraduate student. I will refer to myself as a sports educator.
My Obligation to the Student-Athlete
8. I will encourage students to reflect on their personal values, beliefs and personality in order to have a better understanding of themselves as an individual.
9. I will support student athletes as they transition into adulthood. They should be learning life skills to become mature, responsible and independent adults.
10. I will hold the student-athlete accountable for their actions and behaviors.
11. I will encourage all students to become self-directed learners and take full responsibility for their learning outcomes.
12. I will allow students to learn in their own way and help them realize their full potential.
13. I will encourage freedom and creativity. I will try to strive to remain neutral and remind myself that the students may have different values and beliefs than I have.
14. My ultimate goal is to promote self-discovery and always appreciate individuality.
My Obligations as a Coach
15. I understand that as a coach I have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young people. I am also aware that coaches are in a power position where our words and actions can intimidate, discourage, and disempower the athlete. I strive to be a positive coach and encourage my athletes to grow.
16. I understand that the decisions I make and the actions I take can have tremendous, even life and death, implications for the athletes I coach. I strive to teach safety and spotting techniques and use proper progression when teaching the athletes new skills to decrease injury and risk.
17. I will create a comfortable environment of mutual respect and the free exchange of ideas.
18. I will always believe in the potential of the team. I will make decisions that produce the best results for the greatest number of people on the team.
19. I will maintain a professional relationship with my athletes and keep an acceptable distance from their personal lives outside of practice.
My Commitment to the Institution
20. I strive to be a role model for sportsmanship and professionalism.
21. I will always strive to work within the acceptable standards and policies of the institution and NCAA.
22. I will not condone or participate in any unethical or illegal acts.
23. I will constantly strive to be the best possible sports educator and administrator I can be.