As an adult education professional, I recognize the importance of codifying and making known to my profession and to the general public the ethical principles that guide my work. I understand that ethical dilemmas will occur as I conduct my professional activities but am committed to a set of values and philosophical beliefs that embody my ethical responsibilities as a professional.
I declare the following principles to represent my personal code of professional ethics.
1. I am committed to developing the highest educational and quality of life potential for all individuals with whom I come into contact as a professional adult educator.
2. I will attempt to exercise objective and non-partial judgment as I practice my profession.
3. I will constantly strive to advance my knowledge and skill regarding the education of adults.
4. I am committed to sharing such knowledge, skill, and corresponding experiences with others through publications and presentations.
5. I will always strive to work within the accepted standards and policies of the adult education profession.
5. I will seek to uphold and improve where necessary any laws, regulations, and policies governing the delivery of educational programs to all adults regardless of their background, current situation, economic status, age, gender, sexual preference, religious beliefs, or racial derivation.
6. I will not condone or participate in any unethical or illegal acts.
7. I will constantly strive to be the best possible teacher of adults.
8. I will seek to treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, dignity, and good faith.
9. I will take all reasonable steps to inform myself, all students with whom I work, and the community at large of any consequences stemming from professional work with which I am involved.
10. I will look forward to and accept any evaluative feedback provided to me by others and constantly attempt to incorporate appropriate changes into my professional work.