May Memorial Unitarian Universalist
Our Church Buildings - 1838-2007
From East Genesee St. to East Genesee St.
here to see photos and descriptions of the ten stained glass windows in the
James St. Church]
*Our first organizational meeting was
held in 1838 in the school house of a Dr. Mayo on Church Street. The first services
were held in space borrowed from the First Methodist Episcopal Church. It
was referred to as the Unitarian
Church of Syracuse and also the
Unitarian Congregational Society of Syracuse.
Our first building was a chapel, called The Little Tabernacle, that our
forbearers built in 1839 on East
Genesee Street on a lot opposite of what was
called the Grand Opera House. Thus, that is how we started on East Genesee Street
and once again are located on East
Genesee Street. Regarding our second building,
in 1850 it was enlarged. On February
29, 1852, a big wind storm demolished the building. A new
building was build on the same spot and dedicated in April, 1853. Some 30
years later the tracks of a loud and busy railroad were laid nearby
necessitating the construction of a third building on James Street. It was dedicated on October 20,
1885. Continued growth, especially with RE, necessitated the move some
80 years later to a bigger building, our current home.